The Handy Map and Street Guide to Nottingham is a crude map surrounded by several advertisers. Measuring 90 x 64 cm, it has columns down the sides with an alphabetical index to the street names. It also features many local businesses. It looks as though it was produced to be placed on a wall, but had been folded up.
The map is not dated but there are aspects of it that suggest it is from the 1920s.
It was found among my late father’s possessions. He was born in 1923 and it may have belonged to his father, who worked at Victoria Baths and Portland Baths. Maybe it had once been displayed in the reception at one of them.
Porchester Gardens showing tram line ending at the top of Westdale Lane
The other term used on the map is Lunatic Hospital to indicate the Coppice Hospital in what is now known as Ransom Road Mapperley. Mapperley Hospital on Porchester Road is referred to as Lunatic Asylum. Both these terms ceased to be used officially in 1930
Prior to the building of Mapperley Hospital the mentally ill were kept at The General Lunatic Asylum that was on Carlton Road in Sneinton where King Edward park is now.
When you look for our hospitals as we know them now, the area where the Queens Medical Centre is barely recognisable. We now have the Ring-Road and the industrial area of Lenton. There is a road called Trent Lane that goes from Leen Gate directly to the river. This appears to be the line that the ring road takes to Clifton Bridge. There is no river crossing here and the nearest option would have been Wilford (toll) Bridge. Ironically this is now on the new tram route.
The City Hospital is marked by a rather different title; The Bagthorpe Workhouse. The area between Hucknall Road, Sherwood and Nottingham Road, New Basford appears undeveloped. The Prison at Perry Road is titled His Majesty’s Prison.
Here are some of the businesses advertising on the map.